Cleaning and maintenance of a gun is one of the things every gun owner must learn to keep the pricey firearm stay in good workable condition for long. Cleaning a gun requires a few tools that you should keep handy.
Tools needed to clean a gun
- Cotton swab
- Microfiber cloth
- Nylon brush
- Bore brush
- Cleaner solvent
- Gun oil
How to clean a gun
The following steps will tell you the method to clean a gun in general:
- You have to unload the gun first
- There will always be recommendations and instructions from the gun manufacturer about disassembling the gun part by part. Follow those to disassemble only as recommended and not further beyond that.
- Choose an area that has a nice air circulation and open air, and choose a platform to keep the gun parts which will be covered by old newspapers or towels etc to avoid stains from dirt or fumes from the solvent.
- Cleaning patches and rods are used to clean the gun barrel. A cotton swab fitted on the rod is good to clean the insides of the barrel. For extra protection you can use a muzzle guard.
- The barrel must be scrubbed well by alternating the patches and the bore brush.
- Next you must coat the insides of the bore using the gun oil or lubricant. This you can apply by a cotton swab soaked in the oil which you can insert using the gun cleaning kit rod.
- Next you must coat the gun on all parts with the cleaning solvent to dissolve the dirt, which you can wipe off using a fresh clean cloth.
- A microfiber cloth is next used to wipe and clean the gun nicely.
For a long life of the gun
You must also follow the tips here to maintain the gun at the best condition:
- After using the gun every time, you must clean it before storing.
- A barrel snake, preferably with a flashlight in front of it is a better tool for advanced gun cleaning, and you may get one for long term gun maintenance in a hassle free way.
- A gun should ideally be stored in a cool and dry gun safe. There are gun boxes to keep guns safely.
Actually when you fire a gun there happen a small explosion in the gun chamber every time. And this leaves micro particles as residue inside the gun chamber which must be cleaned periodically to maintain the gun in best conditions for long hence you must maintain and clean it well.